Last Updated on by Artem
Knee pain is an ordinary remonstrance that can cause aches, sores, and pains at the knee joint at almost all ages.
It isn’t restricted to any age group and can be caused due to any injury to the knee joint ligaments such as sprained or strained knee ligaments or even any injury to the muscles associated with this joint. Injury to ligaments can often cause knee dislocation, which will cause severity to the pain.
In such circumstances, ligaments involved are usually posterior and anterior cruciate ligaments which prevent the posterior and anterior dislocation of the knee joint respectively.
Once any associated ligament is torn or any other injury is caused, it then leads to different degrees of knee pains, which can be recognized when there is stiffness at the joint or swelling, or there may be popping or cracking noises while getting up from a seated position or even during walking.
The affected individual who suffers from knee pain will find it difficult enough to straighten or stretch the knee properly since there will be a feeling of precariousness and instability at the joint due to torn ligaments. During all such occurrences, any orthopedic will advise the patient first to maintain the weight, and secondly to maintain the best sitting position while knee pain.
Now the question here arises, what will be the best sitting position while knee pain? To get complete knowledge regarding knee pain and its dos and don’ts, follow the complete article.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF KNEE PAIN AND THE PROBABLE CAUSES WITH THEIR CURES:
Based on medicinal studies, doctors differentiate knee pain into three diversified groups based on their causes.
Firstly, major knee pains are caused as a result of acute injury, which may be due to torn meniscus, a broken bone, or injured ligaments.
The second group of knee pain includes medical conditions, such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, or other inflammatory conditions.
The last category of knee pain occurs due to overuse of the joint, or in other terms, due to chronic use (mechanical Injuries), whose probable causes will include chondromalacia, tendonitis, knee bursitis, patellar syndromes, IT Band syndrome, etc.
In all such conditions, the most effective way to prevent knee pain is by adapting the best sitting positions while knee pain, or in severe cases, consult to the nearest orthopedic.
Another most important cause of knee pain is the injury to the main nerve supplying the joint, which is the great sciatic nerve, that supplies the backside of the knee joint, and this nerve injury leads to sciatica, that is a sense of pain affecting the back knee and most of the posterior side of the leg, caused by compression of a spinal nerve root in the sacrolumbar plexus, leading to inflammation of knee joint.
Therefore, to have relief from sciatica, doctors recommend using the best office chair for sciatica.
It doesn’t mean that this chair can be used in the office only, but it means that it will provide the best sitting position for knee pain.
POSTURES AND POSITIONS WHICH SHOULD BE AVOIDED WHILE KNEE PAIN:
We’ve discussed the different categories of knee pain and their probable causes yet, but to get a cure from this affliction and discomfort, one needs to know the best sitting position, since it seems very difficult to move the knee in all directions during while knee pain.
Now, let’s have a look at the different positions and placements of the knee joint, that should be avoided while one suffers from torment and soreness of knee discomfort.
Tip#1: Avoid poor posture
Poor posture is the number one cause of most joint pains, out of which knee pain is the leading one. Position and posture are censorious and condemning to the adjustment and calibration of the joints in your body. Imperfect posture during knee pain can lead to long-term discomfort, which may be even more severe in case of aging or osteoporosis as in females.
Tip#2:No bent knees
While knee pain, one shouldn’t sit with bent knees for more than 20 minutes, as it will cause contraction of the sprained ligaments, which will not allow them to redevelop, and therefore the joint will remain unstable.
Tip#3: Avoid crossed legs
Crossing your legs wouldn’t severely harm your knees, but it will reduce the blood supply to the joint, and won’t do any favors either. It will put extra and unnecessary pressure on your knee joint, which can in the later hours, contribute to venous or ligamentous damage within the specific area. It disturbs the circulation and negatively affects the posture, compressing the nerves of the specified area, hence contributing towards severity in pain.
Tip#4:Avoid prolonged kneeling or crouching:
Kneeling is when you force your knees against the floor with the pressure of your body weight. Kneeling should be avoided during knee pain as it exerts stress over the knee joint. In case, if it becomes very necessary to work at lower levels, you should use a lower stool instead of crouching your knees.
POSTURES THAT MUST BE OPTED WHILE KNEE PAIN:
Knee pains have become a huge problem almost at all ages, so there’s a must need to adopt such postures that will minimize the pain and will prove to be the ideal positions while knee pain.
- Limit the time of bent knees, avoid it as an essential. Use ergonomic chairs, like the cheap office chairs for sciatica, which will help to maintain the best posture while knee pain.
- Make sure to have your knees behind your toes while sitting.
- There must be a small gap between the back of the knees and the chair. Ankles must be in front of the knees.
- While sitting, make sure that the knees are just at the same level as the hips. That is try to keep the knees at 90 degrees from the floor. Positioning the knees at the same level or even slightly lower than hips will be the best sitting position while knee pain. The angles of the joint may vary from 90 degrees to 130 degrees.
- Try to keep your back straight at 90 degrees with the seat. This will minimize the pressure and compression at the knee joint.
- Try to keep your knees flexed rather than being compressed at times.
- While sleeping, place a pillow between your knees when sleeping on your side, as it will provide a cushion to your knees and will reduce soreness. Avoid sleeping with crossed legs.
By adopting all the above-mentioned postures, you’ll be able to get relief from the discomfort at least during your working hours.
HOW TO GET RELIEF FROM KNEE PAIN?
Knee pain can be cured and relieved by the following precautions:
- Use NSAIDs, if you feel inflammation in the surrounding tissues.
- At times of swelling, icing can be proved to be one of the best cures for swelling and ease the pain.
- Stretching and strengthening exercises will help to open up your muscles and will also help to maintain the stability of the joint.
- The use of medicated knee caps in case of torn ligaments will help to recover from ACL injuries.
- Use of a pillow at the back of the knees while lying with straight knees will ease the pain.
- In the case of obesity, weight loss is the only cure found for knee pains, as this joint bears all the pressure of the body.
- Try to lubricate your knees naturally by having a good diet. Lubrication of the knees will also reduce inflammation.
SEVERITY IN KNEE PAIN NEEDS DOCTOR ADVICE IMMEDIATELY:
Knee pain can be treated at home, but one needs to consult a doctor if the case gets complicated. Consultation is needed when any of the following symptoms are observed:
- Severe bruising or prolonged inflammation
- Uncontrolled swelling
- Development of fever in case of injury
- Severe pain or deformity
In such circumstances, the doctor will immediately do some tests, like blood tests or x-rays, and treatment will be started as soon as possible if the conditions get critical. The sooner you get the assessment, the finer and better stance you’ll likely have.