Last Updated on by Artem
No time to read the entire Aeron vs Embody review? Pick Aeron.
If you are here to learn just about what chair – Aeron or Embody – is the best option, then you are in the right place!
Today I share exactly what you need to know before you choose one of these amazing chairs.
Both designed by the one and only iconic company Herman Miller but…
Was their newer chair, Embody, able to outshine the older classic – Aeron?! Were Herman Miller able to beat…Herman Miller?!?!
Let’s look at them and find that out! 😎
Aeron vs Embody…at a Glance
Ready to look at each of these beasts closer? Let’s do it!
First designed by Herman Miller in 1992 and even featured in a Museum of Modern Art’s permanent collection.
Comes in 3 different sizes to suit different size users – A (up to 300lbs), B and C (both up to 350 lbs).
Provides a tremendous level of comfort (almost like floating) through all sorts of technologies (e.g. PostureFit and Pellicle fabric).
Great breathability, style and impressive 12-year warranty.
I love this chair and own one.
The Aeron chair has a satin aluminum finish, which complements to the chair’s other parts. The chair can come in:
- Graphite theme
- Carbon theme
- Mineral theme
Choose a graphite chair if you want a contemporary design.
An Aeron chair that has a carbon color can blend well in both warm and cool environments.
A mineral Aeron chair, which is the lightest choice, will not look out of place in today’s more open office environments.
The Aeron chair provides a solution to small, average, and tall people.
The Aeron chair is available in three sizes to make sure that there is a chair that offers an inclusive fit for you.
The chair also has a cross-performance design, which allows it to accommodate a wide range of postures you adapt when working, including intense forward-facing focus when typing on your computer, or reclining when you are contemplating.
It’s been more than twenty years since the first Aeron chair was created, and the chairs that are available now have twenty years of developments in the ergonomics to provide many cross-performance capabilities and for you to adapt to a health-positive posture when you sit in it.
If you buy the most recent Aeron chair, you get an ergonomic office chair that has:
- 8Z Pellicle suspension
- PostureFit SL
- A more refined tilt mechanism
As mentioned, the chair’s fabric, pellicle, is a very good feature of the chair.
Pellicle is an elastomeric suspension that eliminates circulation-restricting pressure points.
The chair’s pellicle fabrics are sewn to the chair in a way that they are tightest at the edges and more forgiving where the body makes contact.
Pellicle also allows for air, water vapor, and body heat to pass through the seat and backrest to maintain temperatures comfortable to the skin.
The chair is also fitted with PostureFit SL, which includes individual pads that support the lumbar region of the spine and stabilize the sacrum, a bone at the base of the spine, so you can get into a healthful sitting position.
The tilt function of the Aeron chair allows the chair to move with your body in a natural way as your body moves forward or as you recline. Shifting from an upright position to a full recline position is very easy if you are seated in the Aeron chair.
Designed by Herman Miller in 2008.
This chair is built for prolonged sitting in front of computer and manufacturers claim that it benefits both, body and mind.
The chair comes in one size is capable of supporting a user up to 300 lbs.
Includes a ton of different color options so you can find something that’s really special.
Skin-like textile for added breathability and comfort complemented with Herman Miller’s 12-year warranty.
The Embody chair can feature either a graphite or a white plastic upper frame. When it comes to its seating material, you can choose a color from the two categories:
Rhythm is a standard category, and the material is made of 100 % polyester. The color choices in this category include:
- Kiwi green
- Green apple
- Berry blue
Balance, on the other hand, is a premium category, and the material is 100 % polyester knit. The color choices for this category include:
- Green apple
- Berry blue
- Blue moon
The Embody chair’s design emphasizes its healthful purpose. Like any effective ergonomic chair, the Embody chair offers postural equilibrium, which is the upright balance point that vertically aligns your eyes and your hips, regardless of your spinal curvature.
The chair also has dynamic surface pressure that not only allows for comfortable sitting experience but also is known for giving liveliness and health-positive benefits.
The Embody chair’s strong points in terms of performance are:
- Pixelated support
- Backrest design
- Four layers of materials for its seat
The chair has Pixelated Support that allows you to feel as if you are floating but still perfectly balanced when you sit in it. The chair’s seat and back have a matrix of pixels that conform to even the smallest of movement of your body to distribute your weight evenly. As a result, pressure to your body is reduced while encouraging movement, which is good for maintaining focus and healthy circulation.
The backrest of Embody chair consists of a central spine and flexible ribs, and they allow for you to sit naturally. And, as the chair adapts to your movement, it also accommodates you in a way that you are comfortably seated even if you shift positions.
The seat has four various layers that work together to not only be able to adjust to your movements but also to keep you cool and comfortable.
- Aeron is porous, which allows for air to pass through the back and seat. It prevents heat buildup that causes the body to sweat.
- The chair’s materials are less clunky. The chair also has comfortable armrests and backing, and is equipped with multiple adjustments.
- Other pros include the chair’s environmental sustainability and its iconic look.
- The futuristic design of the Embody chair separates it from a bland workstation.
- Praises for the adjustment features of the chair, which are its pneumatic lift, tilt limiter, tilt tension, armrests, and seat adjustment.
- The Embody chair makes one feel like sitting on air, as it provides optimal support and pressure without causing discomfort.
- Aeron chair has slightly rising edges
- The chair also lacks neck and head support (but it can be obtained separately)
- Bigger users can experience Pellicle pressing against their body too much
- The Embody chair’s maximum height, which is 20.6”, is still low. It can be a disadvantage when the chair is used with a higher desk.
- Embody might be an overkill as it doesn’t have any truly remarkable features that make a true difference
Aeron vs Embody. Conclusion
- When it comes to thermal coolness, the Aeron chair is the clear winner because while the Embody chair’s mesh is breathable, it is finer so it doesn’t breathe as much.
- When it comes to the price, the Aeron is a clear winner being significantly cheaper than the Embody.
- Tall people may want to opt for the Aeron chair, specifically Aeron chair Size C, as its maximum height is 21.30”, as opposed to 20.6” maximum height of the Embody chair.
All in all, it’s Aeron for me.
It’s a great chair that comes with a lot more than you might need overdelivering right at the start whereas Embody is a tad bit too much for a vague “benefits body and mind” statement.