You can get a good comfortable chair on a budget for under 200 USD or less!!
Bad news – not every single one of you reading this post of mine will succeed with that.
However it is my goal to help you out as much as I can and get you the best(est) seat out there…for less than $200.
Let’s dive into it, shall we?! 😉
7 Best Office Chairs Under 200
Without further ado…here are the TOP rated options out there right now.
Click their titles to learn more and/or read more reviews about them.
- DELUXE OFFICE CHAIR - Sit at your desk in ultimate comfort with our super comfortable and on trend executive office chair. The superior styling and finishing touches make it a highly comfortable and...
- HEAVY DUTY LEATHER - Our back bonded leather chair features soft spring pack padding to provide the ultimate in comfort. This modern computer chair boasts perforated mesh to make it more breathable...
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL ADJUSTABILITY - Featuring pneumatic controls on both sides you can raise or lower the seat positioning to suit your height and size. When talking on the phone or chatting to colleagues...
- OPTIMAL COMFORT: Upholstered in bonded black PU and padded with high-density organic polymer foam, this office chair provides optimal support for comfort while sitting all day
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: The backrest features double arced contour and built-in lumbar support to fit your body shape and protect your spine; padded curved armrest of PU chair to rest your arms with ease
- STURDY & SAFE: Upgraded accessories (armrests, tray, casters and auto-return cylinder with height adjustment) are all tested by BIFMA; with safety auto-return cylinder with height adjustment and...
- ERGONOMIC SUPPORT - Enjoy reliable comfort with a thoughtfully designed tall modern executive chair with ribbed sling seating. Experience ergonomic lumbar support while going about your office tasks.
- MID-CENTURY AESTHETIC - Make a statement with an adjustable swivel managerial chair that completes the contemporary office space. Jive is a versatile choice for the computer desk or conference table.
- VIVID COLORS - Jive is the go-to cool tall desk chair. Have fun with while seated in an orange, green or red office chair; or liven up the office with sleek white, black, gray, brown or terracotta.
- Comfortable executive chair upholstered in bonded black leather and PVC
- Padded seat and back for all-day comfort and support
- Pneumatic seat-height adjustment; 360-degree swivel; smooth-rolling casters
- BONDED LEATHER OFFICE CHAIR: This executive chair upholstered in bonded leather which provide ultimate comfort sitting experience. The high back design gives you maximum lumbar support for comfort and...
- TILT LOCK &TENSION CONTROL: Maximum reclining angle of 120 degrees, you can periodically lean back to rest as you work..Awesome tilt tension knob underneath the seat controls the rate and ease of...
- FLIP-UP ARMS:Flip-up arms offer an arm-less swivel chair option without detaching anything,which gives comfort and support for your arms and shoulders.
- Soft and high elastic: office chair high backrest and large size seat is padded with thick and molded foam, very soft to seat on, won't deformed after long use and easy to clean.
- Ergonomic design: computer chair with built-in lumbar support, upholstered headboard and PU cover armrest, relax your body during work, study or gaming.
- Adjustable and swivel: executive chair height can be adjusted to suit for different desks or people; nylon casters support 360°smooth swivel even on carpet.
- Unique design:High quality carbon fiber style pu leather,stylish and comfortable;steel frame and five star base make a superb stable structure. (Maximum capacity : 300LB)
- Multi-function: 360 degree swivel,enjoyable rocking function,90 to 180 degree backwards movement, smooth armrest and seat-height adjustment, removable headrest pillow and lumbar cushion, all to make...
- Product dimension:*Size of Back: 22.5"X30.5"(LXW),Size of Seat: 19.8"X20.5"(LXW),Adjustable Height:3.2''.
What Can You Get for 200 Bucks?
Here is a profile of a good option you would find for the money:
- Material: Mesh or Fake Leather (i.e. PU Leather)
- Warranty: 1-year (but there are exceptions like HON with a crazy lifetime warranty)
- Weight Capacity: 250 lbs (though you can find options up to 500lbs)
- Lumbar Support: Yes
- Height Adjustment: Yes
- Neck Support: Yes (though the majority comes without those)
- Adjustable Armrests: Yes (even though most of the options come without those)
- Tilt Tension: Yes
- Tilt Lock: Yes
That sounds pretty good, but there are limitations I write about below…
3 Reasons Why Cheaper Chairs Can Be a Disappointment
Let’s put it this way, every time you purchase a chair through Amazon I get a commission, so I am very interested in you making a purchase.
Having said this, I don’t want to hold back anything.
After all I do want you to find an awesome office chair you would fall in love with.
This brings me to the obvious law of life – you get what you pay for.
Yes, $200 is a considerable amount for a chair, but, given that top class chairs can go up to $900 and even $1000+…yeah, 200 USD can get you only that far.
And here is what tends to be wrong with them.
This is big.
Manufacturers of budget chairs are already operating with smaller profit margins, which means their post-sale support is…hmm…limited.
Generally speaking, these chairs come with a 1-year warranty.
And here is the dilemma I always have in mind:
Is it worth pay $200 for a chair that will break in a year OR spend $500 on a chair that has lifetime warranty?!
[box title=”” bg_color=”#f4f4f4″ align=”left”]
Personally I always go with the quality long-term stuff.
For example, Herman Miller’s Aeron (a $900+ computer/desk chair btw) comes with a 12-year warranty.
This gives me a crazy awesome chair (I love it and even my mom has it) for approximately $75 per year for the next 12 years…guaranteed.
P.S. Having said that, there is a way to extend your warranty with a furniture protection plan.
See my point? 😉
#2: Lack of Fancy Ergonomic Adjustments
Generally speaking, the more expensive a chair is, the more fancy adjustments it has.
For example, the Embody ($1200+) has some crazy live back support system and only Mr Herman Miller knows how it works (apparently it’s unreal…just like the price 😀 )
The good news is that many budget chairs come with everything you need for prolonged comfortable sitting:
- Adjustable lumbar support (good to have for lower back pain people)
- Adjustable armrests (height & width; good for shoulder/neck pain people)
- Adjustable height (super obvious but still)
- Tilt tension control (this is awesome for recline lovers)
- Tilt lock
- Separate back height adjustment (good for tall folks that need back support to be higher…without actually adjusting chair height)
Generally speaking, the more adjustments a chair has, the better.
#3: Squeaky Cheap Quality Materials
You know the way you sit on a chair and then…it makes that annoying sound:
And any time you slightly move or even look in opposite direction you here same ol’ song:
It certainly isn’t an issue for many people, but if that bothers you go with a better quality chair (yes, you’d have to pay more).
Things to Get to “Pimp” Your 200-Dollar Chair
A good office chair is good on its own, but…
There is always a way to make something even better! (and impulse buy some pretty useful stuff).
#1: Furniture Protection Plan
As I mentioned above, cheaper chairs for office have one big issue – a fairly limited warranty.
An inexpensive furniture protection plan (like $10-20) solves that problem.
Here is the one I found to be ok.
#2: Floor Mat
If you are getting a chair for your home office, then you are more likely to care about the floors (let’s be honest here).
So if you don’t to damage your flooring and preserve its fresh look, a floor mat can be a very good thing to have.
It protect your floors and doesn’t cost much.
Here are top 3 options I recommend:
They all have different sizes and are used for different scenarios (e.g. carpet, hardwood floors etc) – check them out!
#3: Lower Back Lumbar Support Cushion
Back pain is without a doubt the most common issue…all that sitting doesn’t do good for your spine!
This is when a lumbar support cushion can help and make your sitting a lot more comfortable.
They make those from a bunch of materials, but I like memory foam the most.
#4: Wrist Rest
I like this one a lot.
Muscle strain happens from sitting too long without additional support.
A wrist rest, seemingly a tiny thing, can help you with trapezius muscle strain (shoulder pain and also one-sided headache can originate from that).
It’s definitely not a must-have, but just check this one out…
#5: Chair Arm Pads