Last Updated on by Artem
Selecting an office chair for scoliosis is a tricky thing, because scoliosis is a highly individual condition.
However there is a couple of vital points that will help you make an educated decision.
This article covers all 5 points to remember when picking the best computer chair for scoliosis, as well as some suggestions along the way.
Also, this article is a part of our major best budget office chair selection, so make sure to check it out!
And now…let’s dive into it!
5 Best Office Chairs for Scoliosis
What makes a good chair for scoliosis? Adjustability and comfort!
With that in mind I found these 5 options, which, I recommend, you check out in detail…
Which one do you like the most?
1. High Back Office Chair From Posturion
The high back chair from Posturion is an asset for people with scoliosis. Especially for people that suffer from it but have a job that requires long sitting. The chair has many features that help alleviate back pains. These features help decompress the spine and maintain a good posture. The backrest, the lumbar support, and the 3D adjustable armrests create an enjoyable environment for your back.
A person with a sedentary job can use the headrest to lessen neck pains. The lumbar support provides a pleasant sitting experience. It is essential for people with scoliosis since it reduces lower back pains. This sturdy product can withstand more than 300 lbs. It also features a soft seat cushion that is durable and retains its shape over time. This high back office chair from Posturion has the perfect mix of features to help you ease the aches of scoliosis. With adjustments this model can serve as the best office chair for coccyx pain.
- Adjustable Headrest – to help with neck pains.
- 3D Adjustable Armrests – perfect for elbow support and an improved posture. You can change the height, width, and rotation angle of the armrests.
- Ergonomic Lumbar Support – to reduce lower back pain.
- Waterfall Edge – for better blood circulation to the legs and feet.
- Tilt Lock Mechanism.
- Adjustable Neck Support and Armrests – excellent for scoliosis
- A Mesh Design – for breathability on hot summer days
- A sturdy product with the ability to withstand up to 300 lbs
- Lower Back Support
- A comfortable, long-lasting seat cushion
- 360-degree Swivel
- Easily Adjustable Height
- Non-adjustable Lumber Support
- Better suited for taller people
The Posturion chair is the ultimate office supply for people that have scoliosis or want to prevent it. This ergonomic chair will be an excellent addition to your office. The features will eliminate the most common discomforts that come with prolonged sitting.
2. High Back Office Swivel Chair
For people that work long hours a day in an office, finding a comfortable chair is key. People that suffer from scoliosis are in special need of finding the perfect chair that supports their backs and spine correctly, otherwise those hours at the office might represent a nightmare for them. Essentially, a good chair for scoliosis needs to offer optimal support for the entire spine, and the High Back Office Swivel Chair might be the one that you are looking for.
Equipped with a headrest and extra padding, this chair offers great comfort and stability, the hours at the office will pass by without you even noticing. Not only has attractive features but also comes at an affordable price. Most good-quality chairs cost hundreds of dollars, however, this one provides amazing characteristics for an excellent price you can’t miss out.
- Easy to assemble with understandable instructions
- Mesh back that improves air circulation
- Rotatable and adjustable headrest
- High-quality structure to guarantee durability and stability
- Ergonomic design
- Adjustable seat height
- Affordable price
- Better blood flow for legs and feet
- Thick padded cushion
- Great lumbar support
- Weight capacity up to 300 lbs
- Lumbar support is not adjustable
- Not a good option for bigger users
The High Back Office Swivel Chair is a great option for users who are suffering from scoliosis and need to stay long hours seated in an office. This chair helps to decompress the spine and offers just the perfect lumbar support to avoid and reduce any back pain. As well, due to its mesh back, it improves the airflow, that way, it will prevent you from sweating and getting hot from the heat of the computer. The High Back Office Swivel Chair is a product that provides the best features for the best price.
3. Herman Miller Aeron Task Chair
The Aeron Task Chair by Herman Miller is great for scoliosis because the suspension seat and back is made up of eight zones with varying tension levels that support the spine. While its original form has stayed largely the same, the Aeron Task Chair has been updated to include over 20 years of research, advanced materials, and modern technology. The backrest helps to maintain the normal tilt of the pelvis while still allowing for the full range of motion to be used. The backrest also provides lumbar support by coming with adjustable individual pads that help to further stabilize the base of the spine. The Aeron Task Chair is a great option to consider when looking for a chair that supports scoliosis because of it’s features.
Besides all this, Aeron can easily be the best desk chair for hip pain and discomfort.
- The suspension seat and backrest provide lumbar support.
- 8Z Pellicle allows for more of the heat from your body to go through the material from the chair, which helps to regulate skin temperature.
- The tilt of the chair is good for allowing the full range of motion to be used while you move and shift in the chair. Each motion you do will be smooth, comfortable, and easily made.
- The Aeron Task Chair is available in several sizes because the creators walere aware of all of the different body types that want comfort and support from the chair.
- Fully adjustable arms
- Adjustable seat angle
- Tilt limiter
- Tension control
- Durable black nylon wheels
- Three sizes available
- Four color options
- Delivery starts at 10 days
- Expensive price tag
Overall, the Aeron Chair has great features for scoliosis support, but the high price tag and delivery time can make people shy away from it. There are other chairs that are great for scoliosis at lower price tags and delivery time, but you get what you pay for in terms of features, quality, comfort, and durability.
4. Steelcase Amia Office Chair
The Steelcase Amia office chair provides superior lumbar support for those with scoliosis. The live lumbar technology ensures support for your spine at all times. Your spine is kept straight with this office chair which relieves back pain from scoliosis. This is a versatile office chair that can be used in any setting. Use it in workstations, conference rooms, and home offices perfect for any type of work. The chair’s design complements any house design with it’s contemporary inspired look. This chair is designed for everyday comfort with durability in mind. Expect great comfort every day with this office chair from Steelcase. It’s a uniquely-designed office chair that makes your every day work productive and comfortable.
- This office chair features the latest technology in Lumbar support. The Live Lumbar Technology adapts to your spine for a comfortable support.
- Offers continuous back support while using the chair.
- The chair arms are telescopic which means you can easily move it forward or backwards.
- Supports up to 300 lbs.
- The seat slides forward and backwards for different thigh bone lengths.
- Easily customize the chair arms for a more comfortable work experience.
- Made with 97% recyclable materials. You can assure that this chair is environment-friendly.
- This chair supports up to 300 lbs. which is great for big sizes and tall people. No loss of performance even though a large weight is put on this chair.
- Dynamic support offers great lumbar comfort.
- Durable chair construction offers superior durability. The seat doesn’t sway or wobble and high quality metals and plastics are used in the frame.
- The chair arms move in many directions.
- Easy assembly as this chair comes pre-assembled.
- The Lumbar support can sometimes fail if it is adjusted improperly.
- Seat cushioning is thin.
The Steelcase Amia office chair provides versatility for all work type environments making this a great addition to any work setting. Have comfort in your everyday work with this ergonomic and versatile office chair from Steelcase.
5. Ergohuman Executive Chair with Headrest
This offering from Ergohuman is a high-backed office chair with plenty of lumbar support and a headrest to keep your spine in perfect alignment through those long workdays. There are several adjustment options, from the lumbar support to the headrest, and, of course, tilt and height settings.
Construction-wise, this Ergohuman high back chair features a sturdy yet lightweight aluminum frame and a breathable mesh fabric. The frame is strong enough to keep you feeling secure—not worrying that it might topple over every time you shuffle to the side—while the breathable mesh will keep your legs and back cool, even on hot days where the air conditioning isn’t perhaps doing its job as well as it could. Like the rest of the chair, the armrests are fully height adjustable, and they can be pivoted to suit your preferences.
In terms of appearance, this Ergohuman high back chair has something of a function-over-aesthetic feel to it. There is certainly something striking about the exposed, curved, chrome-finished frame. But whether it is the kind of striking that appeals will be down to personal preference. As for the mesh fabric, you can choose from a range of colors, so that they can be customized to suit.
- High back
- Highly adjustable
- Breathable material
- Lightweight aluminum frame
- Adjustable headrest for additional neck support
- Adjustable lumbar support to ensure correct posture regardless of the person sitting in the chair
- Multiple tilt positions can be locked into, as well as a free-tilt setting
- The breathable material should keep you comfortable even on warm days
- Available in several different colors
- The several adjustment options can be a little overwhelming
This Ergohuman high back chair is all about supporting your back in all the ways it should be supported. And with ample adjustability, you should be able to tailor it to suit your body, whatever size or shape that body is.
What Exactly Is Scoliosis
Scoliosis is a condition that affects the spine by causing it to curve to the side.
This abnormal curvature of the spine normally occurs on two areas: the chest area causing thoracic scoliosis and the lower section of the back causing lumbar scoliosis.
Regardless of the type of scoliosis, people with these conditions tend to have sitting problems.
If you are affected by this condition, you require a special chair that can support your back and reduce pressure on the spine.
Since the degree and type of curvature differs, many ergonomic chairs for scoliosis are custom made to match and support the shape of your unique spine.
These chairs are meant to reduce pressure on the spinal discs thus decreasing the degeneration of the discs and the strain of the back muscles.
How Scoliosis Chairs Work
How and when do you know that you need a scoliosis chair?
When your Cobb angle is more than 30 degrees, it means that you need a chair to help you reduce back pains and at least stabilize the spine.
These chairs decompress and concurrently apply lateral traction to the spine.
Spinal surgery experts argue that the chairs help stabilize the spine, something that will eventually reduce the Cobb angle.
Selecting the Best Ergonomic Scoliosis Chair
Because scoliosis affect people differently and that people have different physiques, various types of ergonomic scoliosis office chairs have been designed to ensure that at least an individual gets a chair that suits his/her situation.
Although there might be a few characteristics that differ from one chair to another one, the factors below will help you choose the best chair that will work well for your back and condition.
Point #1: The Width and the Depth of the Seat
Look for a seat whose width and depth can comfortably support your back.
The standard width is usually 17-20 inches while the depth (from the front to the back) of the seat should be enough for you to swing your legs comfortably.
The chair should also have an adjustable forward/backward tilt.
You need a chair that is wide enough to allow you sit comfortably without arching your back.
For example, Herman Miller’s Aeron has different sizes – A, B & C – to accommodate different people.
Point #2: The Backrest of the Seat
If your day-to-day work requires you to sit in front of the computer for 8 hours or more, then choosing an ergonomic computer chair for scoliosis should be your priority.
The backrest of the computer chair should be about 12 to 20 inches wide and it must support the natural curve of the spine.
If the backrest is separate from the seat, ensure that it is adjustable in angle and height, otherwise, the backrest should be adjustable in forward and back angles if the chair and the backrest are in one piece.
It should also have a locking mechanism incorporated with it to secure the seat from moving too far backward.
Take a look at Ancheer. It has five (!!!) parts that can be adjusted for maximum comfort.
Point #3: The Height of the Chair
While good posture can help you reduce back pains, an ergonomic office chair for scoliosis will help you alleviate the pain completely.
The height of a scoliosis chair should be designed in a way that can be easily adjusted.
Choose a seat with a pneumatic adjustment lever as it will allow you adjust your seat from about 16 to 21 inches and anywhere in between easily.
Adjust the seat height until your feet are flat on the floor with the thighs on a horizontal plane.
The arms also should be even with the height of your desk.
A fairly budget chair with great reviews – Office Factor – even provides head rest for people that also experience neck pain.
Point #4: Lower Back Support
Any chair designed to help people with scoliosis should offer lumbar support, especially if there is lower back pain present.
Slouching is common for people who use chairs with improper lumbar support mechanisms.
Because the lumbar spine has an inward curve, sitting for longer periods, strains the spinal discs and back muscles.
A good ergonomic computer chair for scoliosis should have a lumbar adjustment – for depth and height to ensure that you get the correct fit for your spine.
And the Gesture chair by Steelcase provides a whole different experience for the spine, using the so-called ‘Core Equalizer’ system.
Point #5: Armrests & Swivels of the Seat
Armrests as well as, swivels for any chair meant for people with scoliosis should be freely adjustable.
The armrest needs to be adjusted to allow the lower arms and the elbow rest lightly.
Ensure that your forearm shouldn’t be on the armrest while you’re typing.
The swivel, on the other hand, should rotate allowing you to reach different areas of your desk with ease.
This high back chair by Viva Office with adjustable armrests will help you relieve neck & shoulder strain.
Apart from the aforementioned factors, some people would mind on the material of a scoliosis chair.
When going for an ergonomic chair for scoliosis, ensure that the seat is covered with enough padding for more comfort.
Best chairs for scoliosis not only help in reducing back pains but also help reduce the chances of getting a cardiovascular disease.
Shop around for the best chairs before purchasing one.
P.S. And if you found this article useful, please share it with those that might need it!